Monday, August 18, 2014

It's Been Awhile

Hey Everyone!

I know, I know...It's been awhile, more like two months. I was going to try and write a post each day that I was in Iowa but even though there was time, there wasn't time. So, I have decided that before I start back up in school for my fourth year, I will update you all on how this Summer has gone and is going. What do you all think about that? 

Let's first start with the National Junior Disability Championships (NJDC) that were held in Ames, Iowa during the week of July 5th-12th. After having tons of fun on the bus ride on the way to Minnesota, we decided to do another road trip with the bus, as well with the same awesome bus driver! First half of the ride out to Iowa was fun, watching movies, reading books, listening to music, laughing and talking with each other. One of the movies that stood out to me, of course, was watching Eight Below (my favorite of Paul Walker's [RIP]) which was one of the movies that I brought. Reason why it stood out was because of what happened when this following scene happened:


The whole bus jumped in surprise when the seal came out of the whale because it was something that no one but my mom and I were expecting it (even I jumped, it gets me every time). It was a little funny seeing everyone jump out of their seats because it brought be back to the day when I saw the movie for the first time in the theaters and everyone jumped up. Sorry team for not warning you! 

Now, another moment that stands out on the bus ride was when broke down in Indiana due to mechanical issues with the bus. We had stopped a few times before our bus driver pulled off at a rest stop while we could get our bus be fixed. We were stuck in Indiana for a about five-six hours but once we got back on the road, we were about seven hours away from our destination. 

Now, after the road trip, we are now in Ames, Iowa getting ready to compete! My first competition was the first day of competition and that was archery. I had a rough time during the first round due to issues with my bow and arrows but I improved during the second round. I shot a 100 which wasn't my worst but not my best either. My next competition was table tennis and I had very close matches that led to game 5 but overall, I won one match but two of my teams made top three of all the athletes! Two days later, I had both field and track which was my final day of competition. For my 100 meters race, my time was 34.22 seconds and I was also in a relay which did great/awesome! For my field events, the following distances were my best that day: Discus - 5.93m, Javelin - 7.49m, Shot Put - 2.88m. All distances were close to personal bests. Overall, I had a great week in competitions and had a fun time with my friends, teammates, officials, event organizers, coaches, families, and more. Children's Lightning Wheels won 2nd place in the large team division! Yay team! 

Our ride home seemed like it went quicker than the ride out there and we got home a little earlier than planned which always feels good. Here are some pictures from the week. Also, if you want more information for the week of this year's Nationals: NJDC 2014



 

So, that is the update for Nationals. What else have I been up to this Summer? Well, two days before we left for Nationals, my sister had a new baby - a boy! I met my new nephew the day after we came home from Nationals and he is very adorable. Also, my other nephew (7 years old) stayed with us for a week, a couple weeks ago. It was an interesting week.  When Summer comes around, I always go to work with my Mom to help her with shredding, filing, putting together packets, etc. 

So far, I have done two other things Summer that were a blast. Last Monday, I went to the Somerset Patriots game with my parents, aunt, and uncle which I always enjoy doing. It was a hot day so I wasn't able to stay in the spot where I normally sit the whole time so I moved to the back for the shade. Good chicken fingers and french fries which is usually what I get when I go to ball games. I don't like hot dogs. Well, I do but I don't. That's a story for another time. Sadly, the Patriots lost but it was still a fun day.

The final event that I just recently was at the 19th Annual Softball Benefit Tournament for Children's Lightning Wheels, this past Saturday, which is an event that I go to every year. This tournament is held every year to raise money for my team and I always have a blast. This year was no different, maybe even more fun than other years (don't know why..lol). I have a new nickname from the guys (players, umpires, event organizers), and it is The Commissioner (Commish) which I will enjoy having from now on. I had lots of fun seeing, hanging out, and laughing with the players who I have known for awhile and meeting many new ones. I can't wait for next year and excited for it because it will be the 20th Annual Tournament and it's going to be awesome! Also can't wait to see everyone next year. 


I have more pictures from the event, but the above collage are four of my favorite pictures from the day. Once again, on behalf of the Lightning Wheels, thank you to all the players, sponsors, umpires, and event organizers for another great day!

Well, that is everything that I have done this Summer. Oh! I forgot to mention that for my Spring 2014 Semester for school, I made the Dean's list. I was very happy when I achieved that honor and I'm going to push myself for my last couple (few) semesters to make the list again. 

I hope everyone has/had a great Summer and if you are returning to school, have a great year and push through everything. 

I am not sure when my next post will be but it will be sooner than two months (maybe). 

Until Next Time 

CGoerlich <3

No comments:

Post a Comment