Saturday, January 9, 2016

Old Navy Update

Hey Everyone!

So today I decided to take a trip to Livingston Mall and while there, I went to Old Navy to see if there were any changes made with the fitting rooms from the last time I was there. Now, the last time I visited this Old Navy, there were a few issues with their fitting rooms considering accessibility. You can see that experience here.

As you see when you read my last post about Old Navy, they replied on Twitter saying that they would share the feedback with the store's leaders so I wanted to see if there was anything done. I am glad to say that there were a couple positive changes.

Positive changes:


The accessibility fitting room is clear of anything in the way. So as you see there is no rack of clothes blocking the door and on the inside of the room, there are no clothes and it wasn't locked. That means I was able to go in to try on some clothes. 

So this store is definitely heading in the direction, HOWEVER, there were still things that could've been brought up and here I am, bringing them up here. 

Even though, the room was clear of clothes and it was unlocked. There was someone inside to try on clothes and yes, I waited because that's the right thing to do. Right? I understand that there are others who need to try on the clothes and I expected this person either to have a disability or stroller, needing the room but nope, it was someone who probably could've used the other room.

I'm not completely blaming the person because there were racks of clothes blocking a few of the regular fitting rooms (I took a picture but it wasn't that clear). Makes you wonder where those racks of clothes would've been if I didn't complain. Probably right back in the accessible fitting room. 

So anyways I also found out that the other accessible room was unlocked BUT it was full of clothes. I mean, really?? Can't you put these clothes somewhere else? In other stores, the racks where the customers put clothes they don't want, are on the outside of the fitting rooms, not inside the rooms or blocking the doorways. It's not accessible for people in chairs or even those who can walk. 

Also what if there were more than one person in a wheelchair that needed to use a fitting room?? It does happen, you know? More than one person in a wheelchair at the same store at the same time. I know, it's shocking really (sarcasm). Both accessible rooms need to be clear and accessible for those who NEED to use them. I would never be able to use the other rooms, especially the ones at Old Navy (Don't get me wrong. I love Old Navy just the things need to be discussed.) 

Another thing that I complained about in the fitting rooms was the placement of the mirror. Where they have the mirror in every accessible fitting room in their stores are not very useful for someone who is in a wheelchair. I mean, just look at this picture that my mom took of me in the one I was in today. 



I can't even turn to look at the whole outfit. I'm only able to see really what it looks like on half of my body and I have a regular sized wheelchair. How about someone who has a bigger chair? Or even a power chair? There would be no way they can honestly see what they look like in the clothes.

You call these the accessibility fitting rooms when they are anything but accessible.

Now, I did do some more shopping after I left Old Navy (with three new shirts). I went to a few different stores and then ended up at the Gap. I wanted to try a shirt on and I have to say that their fittings rooms are a lot better and more accessible. Here's a picture of me in that one:


I'm able to turn around (probably even do a 360), look at myself in the mirror, and there's a bar in the right spot if I want to transfer to the bench. I also looked into the regular fitting rooms and I have to say, I even would be able to fit in those comfortably if I had to.

As you can see, there's a difference between the two stores' fitting rooms and one was better overall than the other. 

So what I'm asking is to Old Navy, please take in consideration of all your customers and the needs of many of them. There needs to be a better system for the fitting room situation. The Livingston Mall's store isn't the only one that has a fitting room problem so again, I'm asking for you to look into detail on how you can better your store. 

Thank you.

Let me know what you all think and feel free to comment and share this post! We need to have this discussion with all stores and have all people have the ability to enjoy the fun of shopping. 

Until Next Time

CGoerlich <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment